I found a top 10 children’s gifts of 2021 (ages 1 to 5 years) list online:
Magic Mixies $114
Learning Bot $40
LeapFrog Choppin’ $18
Vtech Touch and Learn $58
Kekieve Walkie Talkies $30
Flybar Pogo Stick $17
OgoSport Bubble Pack $27
LeapFrog Animals $16
FB Toys Dimp $13
Top 10 gifts children really want from their parents (ageless, from lifehack.org):
- Come into my bedroom at night, tuck me in and sing me a song. Also, tell me stories about when you were little.
- Give me hugs and kisses and sit and talk to me privately.
- Spend quality time just with me, not with my brothers and sisters around.
- Give me a family-dinner atmosphere.
- At dinner, talk about what we can do together on the weekend.
- At night, talk to me about anything: love, school, family, etc.
- Let me play outside a lot.
- Cuddle under a blanket and watch our favorite TV show together.
- Discipline me. It makes me feel like you care.
- Leave special written messages in special places just for me.
At this season of life, in my 60s, I can’t hit the redo button to gain more time. What I can do as a dad, friend, provider and husband, though, is to ask you to look at the list of what children really want and hold it close to your heart.
Then compare the two lists and consider what will have the greatest impact on them as they begin to make future decisions for themselves and their families. What memory or story will they pull up when they choose who they will be or what they will do — when costly decisions are in their next breath?
Time is the gift that has unlimited value. Share it with the ones you value the most.
Leave a Reply